of The Sanctuary
Glendale Baptist Church)
The Glendale Baptist Church was founded in a
small frame building in early 1927. The
late Rev. Bernard Botts, son of Metropolitan
Baptist Church, felt it was necessary to
have a house of worship in the Northeast
area of Washington, DC. While visiting a
friend on Gault Place Northeast, the late
Mrs. Irene Botts saw two small boys, Jesse
and Claude Anderson, playing. She inquired
of them if they knew who owned the frame
building at 4502 Gault Place Northeast.
They referred her to their mother, Mrs. Mary
Kelly, who gave Mrs. Botts the necessary
information concerning the real estate
with the real estate agent, Rev. Botts
decided to rent the house. The late Deacon
Kelly assisted in getting the house ready
for church services. Deacon Kelly removed
the inner walls and built the first pulpit.
After renting the house for a few months,
Rev. Botts decided to purchase it. A few
members then met to select a name for the
church. The name decided upon was Glendale
Baptist Church because of the churchís
geographical location in Washington, DC,
which at that time was known as Glendale.
Rev. Botts was subsequently elected pastor.
The late Mrs.
Smallwood, a member of Metropolitan Baptist
Church, was very helpful to Rev. Botts in
the early organization of the Church.
Shortly thereafter, an order of Church
service was developed consisting of Sunday
School, Morning Service and Evening Service.
Rev. Ernest Miltier, son of Metropolitan
Baptist Church, provided a helping hand with
the church services.
Rev. Botts found
it necessary to return to his churches in
Maryland and Virginia and left Rev. Miltier
in charge. Rev. Miltier became pastor in
July 1927. The church suffered a spiritual
and financial decline in 1932, however help
was sought under the leadership of the late
Deacon Percy Brown and others.
The late Rev. William H.
Gibsonís name was submitted to the
membership by the late Rev. R. D. Grymes of
Salem Baptist Church. Rev. Gibson accepted
the call and preached his first pastoral
sermon on January 22, 1933. He started a
building program that ended in the erection
of a new edifice at 4504 Gault Place, NE.
On Sunday, May 14, 1933, Rev. R. D. Grymes
preached the cornerstone-laying sermon.
Immediately after the sermon, the
cornerstone was laid by the Independent
Order of Elks of the World.
On December 6,
1962, due to Rev. Gibsonís failing health, a
specially called meeting was held with the
Official Board. At that meeting, Rev.
Gibson agreed to retire, effective December
31, 1962, after 29 years of service.
Committee, comprised of the Official Board,
searched for a new pastor for 10 months.
The name of Abraham Lincoln Colston was
presented to the Church on Friday, October
25, 1963. Deacon Percy Brown was the
moderator at that meeting. The Official
Board and the 40 members present unanimously
voted for Rev. Colston. At the November 8,
1963 Church meeting, which Rev. Colston
moderated, his letter of acceptance was read
On Sunday, January 5, 1964,
Rev. Colston preached his incoming sermon
titled ďA Soldierís Interview With His
Captain.Ē On, Sunday, February 23, 1964,
Rev. Colston was duly installed by Rev. H.
Ellis Turner of Carron Baptist Church.
God richly blessed Rev.
Colston with the power to lead. Upon his
arrival, a new chapter was opened in the
life of Glendale. The pages are filled with
many good acts and deeds taken from the life
of one whom we believe was dedicated to the
cause and one who, after his interview with
his Captain, foresaw what was needed for
Glendale. He pursued his goals, even to the
point of exhaustion at times, doing what he
knew the Lord wanted him to do.